With storm Doris firmly behind us, it’s time to talk about the negative impact storms and rain can have on pest activity. Storms may affect the structure of your property, leaving it damaged and open to any pests wanting a safe place to hide. Even minor damage to your home could leave it vulnerable to a pest infestation.
If you’ve experienced heavy rain and strong winds recently, you may want to check your roof tiles. If they have slid, or fallen off completely, the openings made will be the perfect place for a pest to enter and make their home in your loft.
Storms and heavy rain also affect the sealant around your windows and doors. It can even damage the frames. Once even the tiniest gap has been made, pests can squeeze through and quickly make your home, theirs. A mouse only needs a space big enough to fit its head through to be able to enter your home. That’s not a lot of wiggle room!
After a storm or heavy rain, it’s important to check your homes’ exterior and perform any repairs that are needed. This will stop the pests from coming in. Here is a list of the top places to check:
• Check your loft and chimney openings and make sure there is no damage.
• Re-seal any cracks and crevices on the outside of your home.
• Replace any loose or broken tiles on your roof, and any window/door frames that may have been damaged.
• Eliminate moisture around your property, and unclog your drains.
• Keep your loft dry and well ventilated.
• Clean up any garden waste that may have happened during the bad weather.
• Clean out your gutters and drainpipes, as this is a very common place for pests to nest.
If you are not sure what methods you need to take, to prevent pests entering your home, or you already have a pest infestation, give us a call today. Our team of pest control experts are on hand 24/7 to help you with any pest control need. Prevention is the best method of pest control, so make sure to keep checking your house regularly to make sure any damage is repaired quickly.