If you have a business, houseflies pose a huge threat to you, especially if you work within the food industry. Flies cause the highest number of staff illnesses per year compared with rodents and cockroaches. This is because they can transmit over 65 diseases to humans. Diseases which can have a huge impact on your customers and staff’s health. In turn, this will damage your income, your reputation and your staff’s loyalty.
The most common way a fly can spread diseases is by contaminating food and liquid. Consuming contaminating foods or liquids can make you, your staff and your customers incredibly ill.
To reduce the risk of flies spreading infections in your business, you need to follow a few simple hygiene practices.
• Any raw ingredients you use should be stored hygienically.
• Fruit and veg should be washed before being prepped.
• Make sure all of your cooking and dining utensils are properly cleaned.
• Food prep areas and cooking equipment needs to be kept at a high standard of cleanliness.
• Always adhere to the food standards and regulations. They are put in place to eliminate the bacteria pests can spread throughout your business. You want to make your business as unattractive to pests as possible, which in turn reduces the risk of diseases being spread.
• Eliminate flies breeding sites, such as bins. This will reduce the risk of flies picking up bacteria and reduce the fly population too.
• Ensure your business has a proper waste management system in place. Bins should never be overfilled, and emptied on a regular basis. If possible, make sure your bins have a tight lid that is secured at all times, and that bins are cleaned regularly. This is particularly important if your business is in a built up city, like London.
• Bathrooms in your business need to be cleaned regularly, and given hourly checks by staff.
The most efficient and effective way to prevent flies taking control of your business is to enlist the help of a professional pest control company. At Catch-It pest control, we offer you proactive services and solutions to control and prevent flies from affecting your business. We can offer you flexible business contracts for pest control. This will ensure that your business is protected from the threat of any pest infestation for many years to come.