Spiders are probably one of the most common household pests in the UK. Two out of three UK homes has spiders living in them, and they are one of the most feared pests too. So when we spot a spider, many of us go for the first form of DIY pest control we can think of – getting the vacuum or a shoe.
Those of us who are a bit more fearless tend to go for the live-and-let-live motto, hoping that spiders might get rid of some other pests around our homes. If the thought of spiders doesn’t make your skin crawl, you might want to think about sharing your home with a couple of spiders.
Before you squish another spider, think about how they might improve your home.
How Spiders Help Indoors
• Spiders eat other pests – Cockroaches, earwigs and flies are the some of the most common insects spiders will eat for you. If you leave spiders alone, they will eat most of the other insects in your home, giving you free pest control.
• Spiders kill other spiders – When spiders fight, the winner eats the loser. This means the population will constantly shift.
• Spiders help stop diseases spreading – Many household pests transmit diseases to humans, and spiders like to feast on these pests. Therefore they can stop diseases spreading into your home.
Keeping Spiders Out
• Eliminate food sources around your home by preventing all pests from entering. Block off all the points of entry and seal up any holes.
• Keep clutter out of your garden, and trim back all of your plants to stop them from touching your home.
• Store all of your items in plastic tubs with tight fitting lids. Cardboard boxes attract pests, which in turn will attract spiders.
• Any firewood stored outdoors needs to be kept away from the house, and brushed off before you bring it indoors.
• Put insecticide in spots around your home where spiders build their webs.
• Control insects in your home with insect killer and great pest control to eliminate the spiders food source.
• Consider having a pest control treatment done to the outside of your home. We have lots of different treatments we can offer you that are safe for your homes foundations and keep the pests out.