Woodworms are a lot rarer than most other household pests, but are amongst the most destructive there is.
If you’ve ever been unlucky enough to experience a woodworm infestation, you’ll know how difficult it is to get rid of them. The damage a woodworm can do is often beyond any sort of repair.
So can you use DIY techniques to get rid of woodworm, and will these methods work? Here are some DIY steps you can take to get rid of woodworm in your furniture.
1. Assess the damage. Make sure that what you’re dealing with is actually woodworm. Are there holes in the furniture? Can you hear the occasional cracking noise coming from your wooden table? If you’re not sure, enlist the help of a professional pest controller.
2. Can your furniture be saved? Woodworms love to eat the most upper layers of wooden furniture. The core and the surrounding areas will most probably be left untouched. Because of this, you may only have to treat the affected spot of the furniture. But, if the structure of the item seems weak, you might need to throw it away.
3. Find an effective treatment solution. You can buy over-the-counter woodworm treatments that come in large tubes. But if you’re not confident in using chemicals, especially if you have pets or young children, then call us to help you out.
4. Wear the right protective gear. Put on a gas mask. You’re working with toxic chemicals. Essential to be safe.
5. Coat the damaged furniture’s surface thoroughly. Spraying the solution over the damaged area will kill the woodworm living inside.
Professional woodworm products are pricey, but they are the best chance of treating an infestation if you don’t want to hire a professional.
Even when you think the woodworm infestation is gone, it’s still really important to treat the rest of your wooden furniture with the solution. This is called pre-treating. It will ensure that the woodworms don’t return to make a new nest in any of your furniture.
Always keep in mind that we here at Catch-It Pest Control know how to deal with pest infestations a lot faster and more effectively than using DIY methods. If you want more information, give us a call today.